Friday, July 22, 2011

I JUST WANT TO SEE ALL MY FRIENDS NAKED!!!

A major part of this self-therapy in "learning to be a stranger" has been diving back into the creative aspects of myself. It's something I kind of put on the back burner these last 5 years. I used to draw all the time ~ religiously, in fact. Not a day would go by where I wouldn't write something, either musically or in my journal.


For the past year, I'd always mention to those closest to me that I really wanted to start painting again. I'd not done so since college and the idea of reintroducing myself to that medium was alluring. Last Christmas, I was given two blank canvases, a set of acrylic paints and some brushes. A couple of weeks later, I sat down at my kitchen table and covered one of them in all black, as I'd had the idea to begin with a "night time" landscape. Days later, the break-up happened and for months, my spirits were depreciated and I didn't feel like doing anything, not only creatively, but ANYTHING in general. Depression sucks...and it REALLY IS debilitating.

A couple of months ago, my friend Justin invited me to one of his art shows. He does this about every three months to showcase the artwork of his friends. It was remarkable! There was one artist named Louis who just astounded me with his talent. I walked around the room admiring everyone's art, all the while thinking to myself, "I can do this." A seed was planted in my brain that night.

A week after my ex moved out (and after I'd gone through the whole "Jules debacle") I picked that black covered canvas back up and painted 9 stars of various sizes at the top. That led to painting the silhouette of a quiet neighborhood underneath, which led to a grassy cliff side overlooking it...and finally, the moonlight drenched, naked body of a man (inspired from a picture of my ex) looking down at the town. I really just needed to paint what I was feeling at the time...small, exposed and vulnerable in a huge universe, experiencing life as an outsider, completely ignored and shut out by all the "happy people" with their wonderful houses and perfect lives. I finished it a couple of weeks ago and this is how it turned out...



  Keep in mind, this pic was taken with a camera phone. The colors and textures aren't nearly as brilliant as seeing the real thing up close. Yes, I'm giving myself a pat on the back! So?

Whilst in the middle of painting this masterpiece and listening to the new Lady Gaga album on repeat (so gay), I came up with the idea that this painting could be the first in a series. The theme would be "Skin & Stars"! I bought a huge coffee table book called "Hubble ~ Window On The Universe" which is overflowing with actual images of stars, planets, nebulae, supernovae, galaxies, you name it! These images were taken, of course, by the Hubble Space Telescope. Every single picture in this book is not only fascinating, but gorgeous to boot. It has really given me a plethora of ideas for future paintings.

Where does the skin part come in, you ask? Well, to me there's nothing more enchanting than the human body ~ and since we, as humans, basically come from the stars, I thought the two would be a great combination. I started writing down ideas and came up with about 15 individual paintings that I would like to create for this series.

I ran my vision by Justin and he thought it was a great concept. We've planned a special showing around mid-November, which means that if I'm to have 15 pieces ready by that time, then painting is basically going to be my life for these next four months.

I sent out "feelers" to all my friends, asking if any of them were partial to modeling for me or knew of anyone who might. I was amazed by the responses I got back from those who said they'd love to do it. Keep in mind that the kicker of the offer is that one has to be unreservedly NAKED. Being painfully self conscience of my OWN body, I know that if someone were to ask me that question, the answer would be an immediate, "No!" However, I do intend for one of these pieces to be a self portrait...groan...the Gods of the P90X and a healthy diet are beckoning!

In the last 2 weeks, I've already photographed 6 people for upcoming paintings and am about to shoot 2 more people this weekend. I've even gotten 3 more to agree to doing so later on.

My best friend Tiffany came over one night for dinner and a movie a few weeks back and I went ahead and took some extraordinary pictures of her as well. As she was putting her clothes back on, she laughed and said, "You're only doing this so you can see all of your friends naked, aren't you Dave?"

I replied, "What's your point, Tiffany?"

I love this project, though! Painting and listening to good music (don't worry, it's not JUST Gaga) has been extremely soothing to my soul and has made me very euphoric! The ideas are popping left and right out of my noggin'! And though it's still a frustrating learning process of fucking up, going back, repainting and making things look as they should, it's so well worth it when I apply the finishing touch and sign my name in the bottom right hand corner.

I was on cloud nine after the first painting was complete. I felt accomplished and proud...so I poured myself a glass of wine and sat out on my porch steps that night and texted the picture to all my closest friends and anyone else who I thought might give a damn.

The responses I received back were extremely positive and made me cry tears of joy. Whether they were just being nice and humoring me, I'll never know, but the most important thing was that I LOVED what I had created. When you get down to it, that's the only opinion that matters.

FEELER ALERT! So far, I still need 2 more female models, 2 more males, a lesbian couple, a gay male couple and one more hetero couple. If you're interested or know anyone who would be, you know where to find me. I'd also like to paint interracial couples, as well as single paintings of many diverse races.

Lastly, a very humble thank you to Erik, Olivia, Tiffany, Samantha, Jo Ellen, Randy, Justin, Zack and Julia for believing in this art project and for being courageous and willing to let me see them naked! You are all beautiful and I love you!

5 comments:

  1. All of your creative efforts are beautiful. Is there any mode of art at which you don't achieve wonders?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll do it, Dave. We'll just have to find a time I'm up there and you're free. I am planning to pick up a friend in nashville... on the 10th, i think. i was hoping to ask you if you wanted to come to dinner with us. maybe we could work out a photo shoot for that evening?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy you are letting the creativity back into your life. And Randy and I loved the pose. I dare say you already have a sale in us. Keep going babe. This will take you to some amazing places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT!!! I'm so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy that you have the "creative juices flowing" because I think this is your ticket to finding yourself and having the internal joy you deserve. I will be able to say "I knew you when!" I love you, buddy. xoxox

    ReplyDelete